Simple: note the symbols on the care labels!
Even better: tackle them as soon as they occur!
Mix large and small items.
Powder detergent for white, gentle gels for delicate laundry.
Cotton 60°C, Mix 40°C, Delicate 30°C. It just works!
SORT! BUT HOW?
Wash items of similar colour and similar fabric together. Whites go together, coloured goes together, black goes together. Cotton fabric together, synthetic fabric together, wool goes separately, delicate fabrics go separately. Not sure? Note the symbols on the care labels on every garment.
NO STAINS? EVEN BEFORE THE WASH!
Remove the stains before the wash – preferably, tackle them as soon as they appear. Sometimes it may be enough to wipe or blot up the stain, and rinse it with cold water. If this does not do the trick, try one of the good old knacks: for chewing gum, use a cube of ice; for an oil stain, use the baby powder; for rust, use salt and lemon, etc. For tougher stains, use the appropriate stain remover – but try it out first at on an unexposed part of the garment to check the colour resistance!
How to remove stains
When loading the washing machine, combine smaller and larger items. For delicate items, use a laundry mesh bag to protect the garments. Zip up, button up, and empty the pockets. Various fabrics absorb different amounts of water. Hence, you may load more cotton garments than those made of mixed fabrics. But do not worry: the machine will automatically adjust the water quantity.
USE THE DETERGENT. WHICH ONE?
- Use the powder detergent with bleach granules for white laundry.
- For coloured laundry, use powder or liquid detergent with enzymes. These will help eliminate the dirt without damaging the colours.
- For woollen clothes, use liquid detergent with lanolin.
- For silk garments, curtains and other delicate items, use a pH-neutral detergent.
- When washing clothes made of special fabrics, like GORE-TEX, never use the fabric softener as it may prevent the air to permeate the fabric! For such items, always use the specialpurpose washing gels.
How to keep your white laundry dazzling white?
Before washing white laundry in the washing machine, boil the garments in water to which you have added a few slices of lemon. Then, wash the laundry in the washing machine at the highest possible temperature, using powder detergent with bleach granules.
How to keep the colours of your clothes truly fresh and vibrant?
Before washing your new clothes for the first time, soak them in cold salty water (a handful of salt per a bucket of water). Then, wring them and wash them in the washing machine, using gel detergents with colour-preserving enzymes.
SELECT THE PROGRAMME. SIMPLY THE RIGHT ONE!
No fuss: 3 most common programmes can wash most of your laundry!
- COTTON 60: use it for non-delicate normally soiled laundry. The tumbling rhythm and the spinning cycles will be more intensive.
- MIX 40: use this programme for coloured garments of different fabrics, as well as for laundry of intense colours (e.g. black or red). Spinning cycle will be slower and tumbling will be gentler.
- DELICATE 30: use this programme for delicate laundry that could be damaged by normal tumbling. The programme uses more water and a very gentle tumbling rhythm – or does not tumble at all.